[FFmpeg-devel] [EXT] Re: Query from Reuters on XZ, open source, and Microsoft

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Apr 8 17:40:57 EEST 2024

Tomas Härdin (12024-04-08):
> We could always start licensing the project under a less permissive
> license like the GPL or the AGPL and then charge for exceptions. This
> tactic goes by the name of license trolling, and was successfully used
> by FFmbc for a while.

Why do you say that when you know perfectly well than some of the
developers holding copyright on the core code of the project will never
let you do it and the project currently does not have the talent to
rewrite everything?

> We also don't need to support every use case.

This, sadly, your ilk has the power to enforce. I am ancient enough in
the project to remember the time where supporting every use case was
almost an official motto, and lucid enough to realise that it was the
main reason for the success of the project.

--
  Nicolas George