[FFmpeg-devel] 7.0 release

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Apr 4 14:47:15 EEST 2024

On Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 09:12:04AM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2024-04-04 00:57:39)
> > Hi
> >
> > I will try to make the 7.0 release from the release branch in the next 48h
> > (with some luck but easy possible it will get delayed)
> > i will not try to fix any issues marked as blocking 7.0 on trac, IIRC
>
> IMO people are overly eager to mark everything as 'blocking'.

No, thats not true, very few bugs are marked as blocking, we have 2837
open/new bugs and 1 marked as blocking. And we had maybe 2-3 marked as
blocking maximum at any time over the last weeks

> Not every
> bug ... should be blocking,

true

> and not every regression

IMO, every regression should by default be blocking. Adding regressions
is not ok. And adding and releasing with regressions should not be the
default mode of operation.

It should be
1. Mark every regression as blocking
2. Make an effort to fix the bugs you caused and help others to fix theirs
3. If some individual bug is too difficult to fix, make a concious decission
   to move that specific bugs blocking tag to the next release
4. If teh release gets delayed too much, its possible to release with the
   regressions, because "no release" can be worse

> otherwise nothing ever
> gets finished.

Lets look at the facts
we have 151 open/new bugs marked as regressions, 3 of them are less than
8 months old.
That means 2 things

1. we have hundreads of old regressions (some maybe even arent reported)
that are not getting fixed. Thats an issue and more attention should be
brought to them.

2. we have 3 regressions that are new, I do think we can and should
handle fixing new regressions.

and 3. we arent really blocking the release, the blocking tag is flexible
and very easy to change to the next release. But it gives things more vissibility

thx

Into a blind darkness they enter who follow after the Ignorance,
they as if into a greater darkness enter who devote themselves
to the Knowledge alone. -- Isha Upanishad