[FFmpeg-devel] [EXT] Re: Query from Reuters on XZ, open source, and Microsoft

Satter, Raphael (Reuters) Raphael.Satter at thomsonreuters.com
Wed Apr 3 22:26:00 EEST 2024

Dear Kieran & co.,

Thank you I’ve had a chance to see the talk. It’s a marker of how invisible even critical open source projects can be that I wasn’t aware of FFmpeg’s role in powering the likes of YouTube and Netflix.

A few questions I had:

  *   How much did Microsoft end up paying for the one-time fix?
  *   What’s the solution here? Your talk mentioned paying developers, getting an SLA, or hiring them as consultants … but why would companies bother when they can just free ride? I asked the same question to CISA’s Jack Cable when he told me that  companies need to “contribute back and help build the sustainable open source ecosystem that we get so much value from.” Sure, they “need” to do it, but who will punish them if they don’t?
  *   Any other thoughts you might have on this episode – or others you think I should speak to – would be greatly appreciated.

Raphael