[FFmpeg-devel] RFC: opinions on making fftools work like a library

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Mon Mar 20 13:00:03 EET 2023

Quoting Neal Gompa (2023-03-18 12:33:36)
> generic
> simple
> stable

These goals are to a large extent in conflict.

Making it generic (meaning it covers many use cases) necessarily makes
it complex. ffmpeg CLI is used by huge numbers of users to do gazillions
wildly different things. An interface making it simpler necessarily
takes away some of the power.
Making it stable also limits your ability to change things, which makes
it harder to cover new use cases.

> Yes, it would be a lot of work, but it would make using ffmpeg way easier.

I'm definitely not opposed to making things simpler and more generic,
and a lot of my work is actually aiming at those goals, but I think
"a lot" is a massive understatement for the amount of work required. And
I don't see people lining up to actually do the work or sponsor it.

--
Anton Khirnov