[FFmpeg-devel] Issue - Error Due to higher number of threads

Wolfgang Haupt haupt.wolfgang at gmail.com
Thu May 19 13:12:01 EEST 2022

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I checked the memory usage while building ffmpeg with
> 64 threads. The machine I tested has 128 GB ram. While I tested it I found
> that maximum memory utilized by the build of ffmpeg was 17GB.  Still the
> build throws up error semaphore or child process wait (Error 87 : The
> parameter is incorrect). Hence could you check on the same please. I have
> attached screenshots of memory utilized from the task manager.

What CPU are you on?
There is some complexity regarding the amount of threads and
process groups on windows, see:
https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-pro-cant-handle-amd-threadripper-3990xs-128-threads

Do you even have a processor that will utilize 64 cores?
I recommend trying with smaller values and see where "windows make"
starts to fail.