[FFmpeg-devel] av_fopen_utf8 and cross-DLL CRT object sharing issue on Windows

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Mon May 9 12:36:05 EEST 2022

On Mon, 9 May 2022, Soft Works wrote:

> [...]

I disagree. Both (statically linked or dynamically linked CRT) are
entirely valid configurations, and ffmpeg works fine (except for this
particular, so far marginally used, function) in both those build
configurations.

>> Also, another fairly common situation where the "different CRTs"
>> scenario
>> happens if you'd e.g. build the ffmpeg libraries as DLLs with mingw,
>> but
>> then link against those DLLs with a user application built with MSVC.
>
> AFAIK, it is possible to create DLLs with mingw/MSYS2 in a way that
> these can link to a specific version of the MS CRT, but that's just
> a side note.

Yes, that's true. (As a side note to this side note, I'm the one who added
support for UCRT in mingw-w64 in the first place, so I do know a thing or
two about that.)

But in short, yes it's possible to spend effort at making them use the
same shared CRT, but it's also fairly common to use different CRTs.

// Martin