[FFmpeg-devel] ABI break in 5.1

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Jul 23 23:36:36 EEST 2022

On Sat, 23 Jul 2022, at 16:03, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> (Or, in today's terms, a program built with 5.1 but which is
> combined with 5.0 at runtime, then this can happen:

FFmpeg 5.1 and 5.0 are two major versions and never ever are guaranteed to be compatible backwardly.

Your tools show that we only added symbols, therefore a program built with 5.0 will run with 5.1 at runtime, which is what .so numbering is about.

We’re not glibc and will never be, because we’re not a libc, nor an OS SDK.

If you build against 5.1, use 5.1 at runtime.

But if you built with 5.0, then 5.1 will run, as expected.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734