[FFmpeg-devel] filter queue question

Felix LeClair felix.leclair123 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 5 16:19:37 EEST 2022

From: ffmpeg-devel <ffmpeg-devel-bounces at ffmpeg.org> on behalf of Alex <3.14pi at ukr.net>
Sent: July 5, 2022 9:00 AM
To: FFmpeg development discussions and patches <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>
Subject: [FFmpeg-devel] filter queue question

Hi!
I developing custom GPU filter that require lot of time to process frames and as result overal fps is low ( around 20 fps):

ffmpeg -i 720p.mp4  -filter_complex "format=rgb24,myfilter" -f null -

But then I added actual encoding part to ffmpeg command, result fps is down to 16 fps (-4 fps, around 20%!!!):

ffmpeg -i 720p.mp4  -filter_complex "format=rgb24,myfilter" -c:v h264 -y out.mp4

If I look at timeline of overla process in each cycle:

So, basically can I process frame in my custom filter without waiting for encoding to finish?
In other word I want to process frames in my custom filter in parallel/queue to encoding process???