[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] avdevice/lavfi: output wrapped AVFrames

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Sat Jul 2 23:06:19 EEST 2022

On 02.07.2022 19:26, Nicolas George wrote:
> It is already possible.

Yeah, I noticed that shortly after.
Never before thought to run ffmpeg.c without any inputs, but as long as
you stick to -filter_complex instead of plain -filter, it works great.

> But this device is not meant for ffmpeg.c alone.
>
> It has been explained time and again that libavdevice is useful for
> users of applications that are designed to expect a demuxer, to make
> them use something more exotic than a demuxer.

I never doubted that, though in my case writing the input as a filter
makes a ton more sense, cause filters are a lot better integrated with
the whole hwaccel framework.

With this patch applied, it works via lavfi.c, but you have no control
over the created hwdevice context.