[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Next release and regressions

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Jan 18 00:59:24 EET 2022

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 11:46:24PM +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> Heya,
>
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022, at 23:39, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Trac lists 162 non closed bugs with keyword regression
> > https://trac.ffmpeg.org/query?status=new&status=open&status=reopened&keywords=~regression
> >
> > Our next major release maybe will be next december
>
> When is 5.1.0 ? June/July?

Sounds like that would fit

> If so, then reducing regressions would be very nice at that time.

I think regressions should always be a thing to fix, not just
at time of a release.
Doing it just at a release will make the whole more entangled
and then when there are 30 issues one wants to fix and time for
only fixing 10 the fixes will be worse and people would skip
writing fate tests as thats the easiest to skip when time is
short

thx

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch