[FFmpeg-devel] 5.0 blocking issues

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Jan 12 18:30:51 EET 2022

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 07:37:03AM +0100, Lynne wrote:
> 8 Jan 2022, 17:30 by michael at niedermayer.cc:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > This is a simple go/no go call
> > if you know of something that still should go into 5.0 please reply here
> > with a list of what you are working on and a timelimit until when you
> > will be done with it
> >
> > if you think everything is ready for the release, then too feel free to
> > reply (assuming few others said ok yet) this is not supposed to become a
> > 100 reply thread with oks, just maybe 2-3 people confirming that noone
> > is aware of things missing.
> >
> > I intend to do the release within 2-3 days of all "no go" things being
> > resolved or timeouting
> >
> > thx
> >

> Both of elenril and mkver's patches got merged, isn't it
> time to tag and make archives already?

something is not working efficiently here
There have been more replies here than from elenril and mkver
also there have been over the ML multiple requests for backports
to 5.0 today. (which may or may not be all unimportant)
We do need a better way to detect when a branch is ready for release
or master is ready to be branched.
Iam really bad at keeping track of everything everyone asks to be
included and then notice when it was included fully with nothing
missing and no amendmends.
Maybe we could put a RELEASE_BLOCKER file in release branches in the future
and everyone can list in it what needs to be done before the release
and when something is done the person pushing would also remove that
line from the file.

for 5.0 now, i guess this is a 2nd go/no go call here
anything else that I should wait for ?
if not i will make the release _probably_ in the next 2-3 days or so
(if nothing interferes)

the 2nd thing is i certainly am not able to sit here for weeks and wait
for some "make a release now" bell to ring and then jump and do the release.
i wish i could but thats not something i can do nor is it something
people would want me to do. For example i had a migraine 2 days ago and
it certainly would not be helpfull to the release quality if i made the
release on that day for example.

thx

If the United States is serious about tackling the national security threats
related to an insecure 5G network, it needs to rethink the extent to which it
values corporate profits and government espionage over security.-Bruce Schneier