[FFmpeg-devel] 5.0 release

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 19:17:57 EET 2022

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 5:14 PM Michael Niedermayer
<michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:

> > > yes, i intended to do that, unless people wanted a ASAP/NOW branch
> >
> > So what are the open topics, besides the Audio Channel Layout API?
>
> the mov issue was fixed, channels dont seem to happen
> theres a regression with 946493eb3e072b499909f606625480c928834a44
> that ive reported 1 day after the patch was posted and pinged 11 days later
>
> 221073 rsF 1112 16:11 To ffmpeg-devel (2,3K) Re: [FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] avcodec/mlpdec: cover case when >2 channels are in single substream
> 221074  sF 1123  0:00 To ffmpeg-devel (3,5K) └─>
>
> thats not branch blocking, a bugfix is just a normal backport
> I dont have the file that 946493eb3e072b499909f606625480c928834a44 fixes
> so trying to fix it is like working blindfolded, thats why ive so far
> waited for the author to respond and take a look

As far as I can tell, the recent mlpdec changes seem to be intended to
fix playback of streams made by our own experimental encoder, and not
independent samples.
So perhaps those should be reverted for a stable release (or
generally), seeing as there is no response 2 months later, and no
indication what they actually fix.

The  available whitepapers and bitstream syntax document on TrueHD/MLP
also do not seem to support more then 2 channel in the first
substream, limiting it to a stereo presentation in the first, up to 6
channel in the second, and up to 8 channel in the third substream (and
16 in the extended substream)

Unfortunately the patch was also never on the ML for discussion or review.

- Hendrik