[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2022 ideas page

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Feb 26 02:11:37 EET 2022

Hi all

CCing other admins and mentors on the page

Our ideas page is this year in exceptionally poor condition
I am not sure why this happened. I did actually intend to be just
backup admin for it this year. and that kind of worked last one.
But now today I get a warning from google about the page
And ive already started to clean it up a bit but if you have time
a 2nd pair of eyes surely is a good idea. Also if you are mentor this
year please check your entry.
And if you arent mentor, please ask yourself if maybe you want to
mentor, because we have relativly few ideas on the page compared to
previous years.
And we still need backup mentors!

The mail is below:

Hello GSoC 2022 Org Admin Applicants,

We are busy reviewing all the GSoC 2022 Org Apps and are finding a large
number of organizations that are missing information from their Ideas list.
Rather than individually emailing each org separately with issues I am
sending an email to all orgs that applied to ask you all to please look at
your ideas list and be sure you have done the following things:

1. Be sure to include whether the project is a 175 hour (medium sized) or
350 hour (large project). If it can be either please state that - per idea.
This is missing from about 25% of the org apps right now. Please use the
175 hour and 350 hour designations instead of full time, half time, large,
medium, or any other term.

2. Your Ideas Page URL should be accessible to all and not require login.
This is the same URL contributors will be using if your org is
selected. Test using Chrome Incognito or Firefox Private Browsing modes.

3. As we state in the Defining a Project Idea List
<https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list>
section of the Mentor guide, please provide the following information for
each idea:

a) a project title/description

b) more detailed description of the project (2-5+ sentences)

c) expected outcomes

d) skills required/preferred

e) possible mentors

f) expected size of project (175 or 350 hour)

g) an easy, medium or hard difficulty rating of each project.

4. Some of you are still working on your ideas.  Adding and refining ideas
is fine, but we are reviewing them between now and Monday. We can only make
decisions based on what we see when we review your application. For
example, if you only have 2 ideas when we review your org app, your org
will be rejected.

If you want to be selected this year I strongly suggest you make sure your
Project Ideas list meets the above requirements ASAP.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell