[FFmpeg-devel] Too many project ideas in GSOC 2022 FFmpeg

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 19:07:18 EET 2022

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 5:22 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 07:24:15PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 08:59:16AM -0800, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux wrote:
> > > Hi Michael,
> > >
> > > What is the typical size of a successful GSOC project? Any good
> > > example(s) from the past?
> >
> > for past Results
> > see: (and replace teh year by other years)
> > https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/GSoC/2020/Results
> >
> > but also keep in mind it makes a big difference if the student had
> > previously outside gsoc contributed to FFmpeg
> >
> > also this year there are multiple changes in GSOC
> > there will be 2 project sizes and more people will be eligible IIUC
>
> Note to everyone, please add the project duration to your entry on trac
> this year there are 2 sizes, so we should say something about that.
> It may be possible to also leave that open for now, ive seen other
> organizations do that. But we should say something for each project.
>
> Ive also reorganized my 2 projects so there is now a long and a short
> one
>
> and about the checkasm project, i think its a really good idea and i
> hope someone will mentor it.
> But as long as noone mentors it it should be moved to a section
> for projects without mentors
>
> I took the liberty to CC the people who added the other entries, as
> the time before google reviews this is unknown to me
>
> PS: And we need backup mentors for all projects, google has been allergic
> to projects which do not list a backup mentor
>

> thx
>
> [...]
>
> --
> Michael     GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB
>
> Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
> it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
> even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf

Perhaps this one is not for ffmpeg itself but more of a research project?
I've recently become aware of the LCECV [1] codec.
That's sadly partly free.

It would be amazing if someone for GSoC could "invent" something like LCEVC.
ffmpeg would probably be a nice place for that. The knowledge certainly is
in this community!
The result would be an alternative - and open - alternative to LCEVC.

I kinda like this codec concept because it manages to get out higher
quality with current hardware and current codecs that those codecs on
their own can't reach.
See [2] for much more information if you're interested.

Just an idea.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCEVC
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frrw8O2ax6I