[FFmpeg-devel] Playback issue on Sony TVs caused by btrt box

Eran Kornblau eran.kornblau at kaltura.com
Mon Feb 21 17:06:52 EET 2022

Hi all,

We've recently upgraded our ffmpeg version, and we got a playback issue on some Sony TV models that are playing HBBTV/DASH+DRM - video plays fine, audio doesn't play at all.
Listing here some of the affected models (not pasting all, the list is long...) - KDL-32W600D, KDL-40W650D, KDL-48W650D, KDL-43W750D, KDL-49W750D, KDL-55W650D.

After some investigation, we found the cause was the addition of the 'btrt' atom to the mp4 –
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/3838e8fc210aa09a9f9058506c0ce80b6ad9b9c3
The TV decoder expects to get the sinf atom right after esds, and doesn't properly handle the btrt atom in between
(our packager adds the sinf atom at the end of the original stsd entry that was read from the mp4 file).

Since, in my understanding, the btrt atom was added mostly for reporting reasons, IMHO, it should be a config option - off by default.
I would happily submit a patch for it, but sending this first, in case there are any concerns/objections.

Thank you!

Eran