[FFmpeg-devel] API enhancements / broken promises

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 02:16:34 EEST 2022

On date Monday 2022-08-15 18:47:34 +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Over the years, I have promised quite a few enhancement to FFmpeg's API,
> some of them connecting to user interface: stored error messages instead
> of just logging, universal serialization of objects into various formats
> (JSON, XML, etc.), a way to exfiltrate data from filters and other
> components, better options parsing avoiding multiple levels of escaping,
> asynchronous interface for protocols and later formats, avoiding global
> state including a more reliable control of allowed components, and I
> might be forgetting a few of them.
>
> I will not be able to make good on these promises, mostly for no fault
> of mine.
>
> I have detailed plans on how to achieve any of these goals; I would not
> have proposed otherwise. I can explain them if somebody is interested.
>
> A lot of these projects require a good string API. Unfortunately, my
> proposal for that is being blocked by a member of the tech committee
> who, by their own admission, almost never deals with strings and never
> used BPrint, and whose arguments amount to “I am not convinced we need
> it”, and the others members of the committee do not care enough to
> override them.

Just my two cents since I've admittedly not being active for the past
several years, but I appreciate your contributions over the years and
I like the direction you put the project on.

I commented on the string API (in fact I did with the idea to
kickstart a proper review process).

About the tech committee, I don't know how much this changed but as
far as there is a review going on and no documented technical
objections during review, there should be no reason to block a new
API.