[FFmpeg-devel] Guidance needed for a semi-breaking change

MCC CS mcccs at gmx.com
Wed Apr 27 17:07:03 EEST 2022

The default for AAC_AT is to produce highest quality audio, which I'll keep undoubtedly
in the same direction. However, the question is this:

Should the one who explicitly set `-aac_at_quality 0` (highest quality available) be moved from HIGH to MAX,
HOWEVER causing the side effect of moving everyone up in the quality-speed tradeoff by one,

(or we can eliminate HIGH and just replace it with MAX which has no tradeoffs AFAIK)

OR add `-1`, so that only those who entered no `aac_at_quality` be moved to -1,
and keeping explicit people having set `-aac_at_quality 0` at HIGH for them,
although they might have meant MAX when they started using it?
(i.e. no regression nor improvement for them)

---