[FFmpeg-devel] Guidance needed for a semi-breaking change

MCC CS mcccs at gmx.com
Wed Apr 27 15:42:23 EEST 2022

Hi,

It's my first time writing an (original) patch for ffmpeg, so I would like your help.

I’m planning to propose a diff to an encoder param for aac_at, which is, as currently listed by "ffmpeg -h encoder=aac_at”:

  -aac_at_quality    <int>        E...A...... quality vs speed control (from 0 to 2) (default 0)

Currently, 0 uses HIGH, and 1, 2 use MID, LOW quality encodings.

I’d like to change this param so that all 5 levels listed by Apple (MAX, HIGH, MID, LOW, MIN) can be used.

Do I change it to:

  -aac_at_quality    <int>        E...A...... quality vs speed control (from 0 to 4) (default 0)

and migrate everyone to a higher-quality encoding preset

or
  -aac_at_quality    <int>        E...A...... quality vs speed control (from -1 to 3) (default -1)

so that previous levels are kept as they are, adding only MAX and MIN, which were previously out of range.

I’d like to know: Which of these aligns better with FFMPEG’s policies?

Many thanks