[FFmpeg-devel] warning about configuration mismatch between ff* binaries and libraries

"zhilizhao(赵志立)" quinkblack at foxmail.com
Mon Apr 11 06:15:59 EEST 2022

> On Apr 11, 2022, at 5:31 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
>
> Dear Developers!
> I'm curious about the warning about configuration mismatch between ff*
> binaries and the libraries introduced in:
>
> https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commit/9120e2cd3fadfa60269e94f97fc8107974c586fc
>
> At Fedora, we're interested in having two builds: one built with limited
> set of codecs[1] that is legally distributable in the US (since Red Hat,
> Fedora sponsor is a US-based company) and another, with a more complete
> set of codecs[2] distributed by RPM Fusion. The builds are intended to
> be drop-in replacements. We'd like to be able to distribute just one set
> of ff* binaries and only have two different interchangeable builds of
> libraries.
>
> The idea is to have the builds differ by enabled codecs only and have
> the rest of the configuration the same (even if it's not the case
> today).
>
> So, does that warning still make sense today? Will something break
> if we swap the libraries but keep the binary on user systems?

That’s exactly an example of why the warning is useful. Otherwise user can
be confused why some codecs are missing while banner says they are enabled
by configure. So yes, the warning still make sense.

For the second question, I guess it may miss a few features depending on the
configuration. Try `grep CONFIG_ -r fftools/` and test.