[FFmpeg-devel] Scaling PAL8 images with alpha

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Sep 24 18:39:36 EEST 2021

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:30:31AM +0000, Soft Works wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for a new filter, I want to rescale PAL8 subtitle bitmaps where the palette includes
> colors with alpha.
>
> From what I’ve seen, swscale doesn’t support PAL8-to-PAL8, only PAL8-to-BGR8
> which doesn’t support alpha and the palette is fixed with 256 entries defined by
> convention, while I would ideally like to be able to allow the following:
>
> - constrain the output to use the same palette as the input
> - adaptively quantize it to a palette with a configurable number of colors
>
> Thus it's about the palette quantization (with or without dithering) after
> scaling in RGBA. (or some cool algorithmic trick I'm not aware of)
>
> Is there any existing code that I could reuse? The closest I could find
> is pngenc, but I'm wondering whether there's something else/better
> somewhere in the ffmpeg libs that I haven't seen?

There are some non linear scaling filters which may make sense when you do
not have the full linear space available see:
hqx, epx, xbr
you could also try some neural net stuff
or the insane solution, OCR, scale text, render font into RGBA and then back to PAL8

thx

Those who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.