[FFmpeg-devel] Code File Copyright Headers

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Sep 19 21:17:46 EEST 2021

Hello,

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021, at 20:14, Soft Works wrote:
> I have a question about copyright headers.
> It's not something I care much about myself, but surely others
> might do, and I'd like to properly account for that.

It is also that the legal value of those are disputed; and notably, that not having a name there does not mean you don't hold copyright/authorship rights.

However, in some rare use cases, and in some countries, they can be useful, and some people care a lot.
Also, it helps to know who wrote most of the file, if you have any question.

> Parts of the overlay_graphicsubs filter that I have submitted
> are derived from the existing vf_overlay filter.
> Should I copy the names from the copyright header into
> my new(derived) filter?

Yes, you should. Common courtesy, and helping other, when they read the code.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734