[FFmpeg-devel] Plans for libavfilter

Soft Works softworkz at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 21:10:48 EEST 2021

I don't see any benefit in having filters that are handling variable
media types.
Even when the filter names are the same, the semantic of what these
are doing often varies significantly.
They would often need to have options where some only apply to a certain
media type only.
Further, this increases error and confusion for command line use, as
this would lead to filters connecting in ways that aren't intended
at all, while making it hard for users to understand what's happening
and why it's failing.
It's already hard or impossible to see which formats are actually
negotiated between filters. Having filters that can do multiple
media types on a single pad would cause ultimate confusion for users
and make things happen that are undesired, unexpected and intransparent.

Kind regards,
softworkz