[FFmpeg-devel] next release

J. Dekker jdek at itanimul.li
Thu Oct 7 16:02:59 EEST 2021

On 6 Oct 2021, at 11:57, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Should the next release be called "LTS"?
No, we can specify it *as* LTS but it should still have an actual name.
The danger in calling it 'LTS' is that it will then be confusing if we
specify other releases as LTS: do we mean an LTS release or the release
called 'LTS'?

Though it is definitely a good to start specifying specific releases as
LTS, it should definitely be discussed how this is done. Will we
maintain two versions per major, i.e. a LTS like 4.1 and then the latest
in the major 4.4? I think this would make the most sense, limiting the
burden of maintainership as much as possible.

Those who want a very stable release stay on the LTS minor within the
major version and those who want a stable major stay on the latest minor
within the major.

> Should the next release be 4.5 or 5.0 ?
5.0

> Should it be made in december 2021 ? (as was suggested in jbs release
> mail)
This seems reasonable.

--
J. Dekker