[FFmpeg-devel] Possible contract work for someone familiar with ffmpeg

Michael Van Hulle mike at thecomputer.com
Tue Nov 2 02:15:01 EET 2021

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask for possible contract
work for someone that is familiar with ffmpeg.  Here is what my company
is looking for:

We are looking to design a streaming server with the following requirements:

  * The files that are streamed by the server are MP4 files that
    containboth video and audio.
  * Our preferred method is to use RTSP streaming protocol.  This is
    open to suggestions.
  * The server must be able to load many files that need to be
    streamed.In our case, the files are each oneminute in length.
  * Each file has a filename that includes a timestamp of the exact time
    that the file was recorded. When a time request is sent from the
    client, the server should be able to use this timestamp to determine
    which file it needs to load.  Once the file is loaded by the server,
    it should immediately start streaming from the timestamp position
    requested.  For example, if a request is made for July 20, 2021at
    3:00pm and 30 seconds, and the beginning of the one minutefile is
    July 20, 2021at 3:00pm and 0 seconds, then the server should load
    that file and position it'stime pointer to 30 seconds into that file
    and start streaming video from that point in the file.
  * The server must serve these oneminutefiles with smooth transitions
    between each file.  The client that is playing the video should not
    see a break in video or audio between the transition from one file
    to another.
  * The client should be able to play forward at different speeds. For
    example,full speed, ½x speed, 2x speed, and 4x speed.
  * The client should be able to pause the video.
  * The client should be able to rewind 10 or 30 seconds from where the
    video is playing.
  * During the play forward and rewind operations, the server must be
    able to handle the switching between the one minutevideo files.For
    example, if a rewind request of 30 seconds is requested by the
    client and the server has played15 seconds into file 2, then the
    server should switch tofile 1 and set its pointer to 45 seconds into
    thatfile. This is assuming that all the files are exactly 60 seconds
    in length.
  * Because the client has the user controls that control the play
    forward, pause, and rewind there will need to be a communication
    method that sends these command functions to the server so the
    server can respond to these requests. ATCP channel could be used for
    these control messages.
  * The one minutefiles will always have a reference frame at the
    beginning of each file. Because reference frames do not always match
    up perfectly to a minute, the video files will not all be exactly
    one minute in length. The server must be able to handle the
    variations in file time length.
  * We would prefer to use a standard tool like ffmpeg. However, we are
    open to any suggestions on other tools that can be used.

Please let me know if you would be interested in consulting for this
project.  Or if you know of someone else that would be interested.

Thank You,
Mike Van Hulle