[FFmpeg-devel] Builds for MAC

Jan Ekström jeebjp at gmail.com
Sun May 16 22:26:26 EEST 2021

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 10:02 PM Timo Rothenpieler
<timo at rothenpieler.org> wrote:

> On 16.05.2021 19:46, Jan Ekström wrote:
> > If you have interest in figuring out building binaries for
> > distribution, I would recommend contributing to one of the public and
> > automated build systems such as https://github.com/BtbN/FFmpeg-Builds
> > .
> >
> > Currently it has Windows and 64bit Linux in there, and the person
> > poking at it seems open to contributions to add more systems.
>
> Unfortunately those builds are hard-wired to only support what can be
> cross-compiled to from Linux.
> And as far as I'm aware, that's still impossible to do for OSX.

Yes, it would have to utilize a native macOS 10.15 / 11.x worker.
Thankfully this is available (looking at
https://docs.github.com/en/actions/using-github-hosted-runners/about-github-hosted-runners
), although means that various things would have to be adjusted in the
scripts of course.

(There are apparently ways to cross-compile for macOS looking at
projects like https://github.com/tpoechtrager/osxcross , but I'd
expect native builds to be simpler to get started up - although if
cross-compilation works nicely, no reason not to utilize such
solutions)

Jan