[FFmpeg-devel] Builds for MAC

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Sun May 16 22:27:27 EEST 2021

On Sun, 16 May 2021, Timo Rothenpieler wrote:

> On 16.05.2021 19:46, Jan Ekström wrote:
>> If you have interest in figuring out building binaries for
>> distribution, I would recommend contributing to one of the public and
>> automated build systems such as https://github.com/BtbN/FFmpeg-Builds
>> .
>>
>> Currently it has Windows and 64bit Linux in there, and the person
>> poking at it seems open to contributions to add more systems.
>
> Unfortunately those builds are hard-wired to only support what can be
> cross-compiled to from Linux.
> And as far as I'm aware, that's still impossible to do for OSX.

It is possible, although not using official tools.

https://github.com/mstorsjo/xcode-cross provides a setup with tools
(vanilla clang + apple's opensource releases of their binutils equivalents
- and the latter always lag some months behind the regular tools). It does
require you to have a packaged version of Xcode though (which is
non-redistributable, afaik).

Distributing binaries kinda requires them to be signed, too, unless you
leave that up to the user of them...

// Martin