[FFmpeg-devel] Compensating for mistakes of video encoder rtsp server implementations

Hayden Myers HMyers at skylinenet.net
Mon Jun 28 23:37:57 EEST 2021

How does one approach the problem of an encoder's incorrect implementation of the rtsp protocol?  My non-working example here is a Coretec mpeg-4 encoder.  I'm not sure the manufacturer is still in business, but they're still in use.  Using rtsp, the encoder sends no response to a setup message.  After debugging, I learned the encoder wants the client_port pair parameter, a valid item for unicast streams.  This is a multicast stream and client_port doesn't apply.

This isn't the first time I've experienced encoders not implementing the spec as written with regards to the port / client_port parameter.  The client_port parameter has shown up in the setup reply for multicast streams instead of the port parameter.  This results in a proper non matching transport in server reply error from ffmpeg.  If udp_multicast is set as the rtsp_transport, the transport is set properly.

I'd like to patch, but see the solution as dirty and likely not accepted by the masses.

Hayden Myers
Principal Software Engineer
t: (410) 590-2027