[FFmpeg-devel] Compatibility of different library versions (was: avformat: Add internal flags for AV(In|Out)putFormat)

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Jun 17 01:14:35 EEST 2021

James Almer (12021-06-16):
> I'm not sure what you mean. I would not be against it, it's just that if we
> were to merge lavf and lavd, this wouldn't even be something to consider.

Have you not read the discussion? The benefits go way beyond the tiny
lavf-lavd issues.

> > and why you are
> > against for other libraries.
> Can you be more specific?

When I say "I am for X" and you reply "I am not against Y", with Y⊂X and
Y≠X, you are implicitly saying that you are against X∖Y. I proposed to
restrict to matching versions on all libraries, you replied you were not
against restricting for lavf-lavd, stating implicitly that you are
against it for the libraries.

So, I ask explicitly: are you against restricting to matching versions
for all the libraries? If so, then why?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George