[FFmpeg-devel] git send-email and SMTP (Was: Re: pixfmt: fixed wrong fix of comment)

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Jun 16 12:45:49 EEST 2021

Hi Валерий,

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 15:12:12 +0300, Валерий Заподовников wrote:
> BTW, who knows how can I use git send-(gmail)email script to NOT use SMTP?
> I do not want my ipv6 address revealed, that is how it works on gmail for
> Android (that I am using RIGHT now) and on mail. google. com. But it is
> revealed by git and iPhone sender (that is why I never use iPhone mailer,
> ha).

What would you use instead of SMTP to forward the message? (Will gmail
not expose the submitting IP address anyway?) Assuming you are on a
Unix-like system:

As far as I can tell from the documentation, you can tell
git-send-email to use your local command line "sendmail"
implementation - if that helps to not reveal whatever you are hiding,
and  also do your header rewriting and whatever:

> --smtp-server=<host>
>   [...] Alternatively it can specify a full pathname of a
>   sendmail-like program instead; the program must support the -i
>   option.

Cheers,
Moritz