[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Removal of Valerii Zapodovnikov

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Fri Jun 11 17:49:09 EEST 2021

Thilo Borgman (12021-06-10):
> some of you might have realized that I've removed Valerii Zapodovnikov
> from our mailing list after [1].
>
> I did this in my function as a mailing list admin because I think our
> guidelines for the mailing list are mandatory for everyone to be
> welcome here.
> Plain rejection of these guidelines makes you not welcome here by
> definition.
> Any bot would have made the same decision.

For what it's worth, I had some reservations when first seeing the ban,
but after reading your explanations, reviewing the facts and reading the
reply, I have come to support your decision.

What Valerii does not realize, I think, is that you were acting as
administrator from the beginning, and that your injunction to follow the
guidelines was not for you alone but for all the discussions.

OTOH, it should be applied consistently, I believe I remember another
case where somebody flat out rejected to follow the guidelines (about
top-posting IIRC). If that happens again, the precedent should probably
apply.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George