[FFmpeg-devel] Mailing List Delay

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Wed Jul 14 22:05:09 EEST 2021

Derek Buitenhuis (12021-07-14):
> Yeah, I know, but it seemed to be a good time to bring this up yet again.
> Sorry if that was unclear.

No problem. It is an important discussion, and now we are on the same
page.

> Looking at a set of 3 patches I sent with git-send-email that had this issues,
> the mbox headers from patchwork show:
>
> * https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/patch/20210220185050.508373-2-derek.buitenhuis@gmail.com/
>           by ffbox0-bg.mplayerhq.hu (Postfix) with ESMTP id ACBCC68A72F;
>           Sat, 20 Feb 2021 21:47:10 +0200 (EET)

You relevant part is:

 for <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>; Sat, 20 Feb 2021 11:47:04 -0800 (PST)

 Sat, 20 Feb 2021 10:51:04 -0800 (PST)

It shows that the mail spent approximatively one hour stuck between two
relays that belong to Google. There is nothing under our control here.

Now, the difference being close to one hour, it can probably be
explained by the mail being temporarily rejected by the next relay,
ours and queued by Google.

Therefore, the information we need now to debug is what the logs of
ffbox0-bg.mplayerhq.hu contains immediately after 20 Feb 2021 11:47:04
-0800.

If it happens to you again, you can ask for the logs immediately, it will
be more likely the admins can find what went wrong.

Note that there is a possibility that the issue was a network issue, and
therefore does not appear in our logs. We would need Google's logs for
that.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George