[FFmpeg-devel] Mailing List Delay

ffmpegandmahanstreamer at lolcow.email ffmpegandmahanstreamer at lolcow.email
Wed Jul 14 16:35:15 EEST 2021

On 2021-07-14 09:17, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 7/14/2021 12:27 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
>> Looking at the headers, it looks like the delay happens at Google
>> before
>> the mail arrives to the mailing-list.
>>
>> Yours arrived quickly. Mine will too, I guess.
>
> Sending from GMail, I have had anywhere from instantly, to 1.5 hours
> delay
> ever since moving to the "new" (Hungarian?) mailing list host.
> Especially
> when sending via git-send-email.

Oh, that's strange. All my emails always send instantly. Even when i was
on cock.li which wasn't very reliable (read below).

> I have been bringing this up consstently for years, and been told it's
> a "non-issue", but it is incredibly annoying.
>
> I am not sure if it's due to Google having issues (trust?) sending to
> out host, or the host having trouble receiving.

That's why i use this email provider and not my main Gmail for mailing
lists.

I used to use cock.li but they shut down signups. Plus the one i'm using
(lolcow.email) has a nice threading interface on the web.  I have a
special email for every mailing list im in (FFmpeg, llvm, qemu,
gstreamer, freebsd/linux etc..). The nice thing is that you can put them
in the Gmail or Apple/Android mail app on your phone for easy reading.
And it also helps stop SPAM mails which i have gotten by posting on
mailing lists.

It may be a good stopgap solution for some.

> I have also noticed, since switching to this 'new' mysertious mailing
> list host a few years back that a chunk of ffmpeg-devel traffic gets
> filed into spam consistently. Also very annoying - I have missed
> several
> patches this way. This is not specific to GMail, for me, so far.

That's because mail from "unknown" hosts might get into spam frequently.
You may have to explicitly whitelist the mailing list in your settings.