[FFmpeg-devel] Mailing List Delay

Derek Buitenhuis derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 16:17:23 EEST 2021

On 7/14/2021 12:27 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> Looking at the headers, it looks like the delay happens at Google before
> the mail arrives to the mailing-list.
>
> Yours arrived quickly. Mine will too, I guess.

Sending from GMail, I have had anywhere from instantly, to 1.5 hours delay
ever since moving to the "new" (Hungarian?) mailing list host. Especially
when sending via git-send-email.

I have been bringing this up consstently for years, and been told it's
a "non-issue", but it is incredibly annoying.

I am not sure if it's due to Google having issues (trust?) sending to
out host, or the host having trouble receiving.

I have also noticed, since switching to this 'new' mysertious mailing
list host a few years back that a chunk of ffmpeg-devel traffic gets
filed into spam consistently. Also very annoying - I have missed several
patches this way. This is not specific to GMail, for me, so far.

If it's a trust thing, sure, we can blame Google or whoever, but I think
we should have a less cruddy experience for users of the largest email
provider in the world, by default, rather just shrugging and saying "sucks
to be you, don't use GMail".

- Derek