[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Event loop

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Jan 5 17:11:58 EET 2021

Xiang Xiao (12021-01-04):
> Nicolas, thank you for bringing up this topic.
> My team is working on similar functionality: the event loop is the
> central point to integrate protocol, demux/mux, decoder/encoder, avfilter
> and avdevice to form a complete multimedia subsystem(like DirectShow or
> GStreamer). Without the builtin event loop, it is very hard to support it
> with a clean and elegant way outside FFmpeg:
>
>    1. Multiple streaming(either local or network)
>    2. Multiple devices(either capture, playback even Bluetooth A2DP/SCO)
>    3. Interact and coordinate between the components
>    4. Provide a system wide and easy used API to application
>
> We are very excited that the community is considering to provide the
> generic event loop support and want to make the contribution.

Thank you for the feedback. It confirms that we need this also to make
applications easier.

Note that GStreamer is considered a swear word around here. But I think
the flaw of GStreamer is to be over-engineered, the GNOME way, with more
abstraction layers than actual features, and not the base idea to have a
graph of processing units. The trick is to keep things as simple as
possible while as powerful as needed; I think we can pull it off.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George