[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Event loop

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Jan 4 15:37:29 EET 2021

Peter Ross (12021-01-04):
> Majority of our demuxers and muxers assume a blocking model. Will they
> need to be rewritten (eventually) to use event-based i/o?

The way I see it, compatibility is ensured: the current API that reads
on protocol should still be supported, by creating a local loop and
running it until a packet is obtained. Exactly what we are doing now,
but with cleaner code and less duplication.

Therefore, muxers and demuxers written for it would continue working.

But muxers and demuxers would also have the option of being rewritten to
use events, and in turn gain better non-blocking operation in the
process.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George