[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Event loop

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Fri Feb 19 15:52:35 EET 2021

Lynne (12021-02-19):
> https://github.com/libuv/libuv/tree/v1.x/docs/code
> Pipes, file descriptors, sockets, examples.
> The docs are even searchable: http://docs.libuv.org/en/v1.x/index.html

I have found all this. Nothing allows to handle a foreign protocol
handled by existing code. It is even stated explicitly in the docs:
everything assumes libuv owns the fd. That means no ALSA, no libX11/xcb,
etc.

> > Yes, that is a terrible trend. Throw memory and CPU at I/O performance
> > instead of writing optimized code. POSIX threads never were a solution
> > for parallel I/O.
> They kind of are, since I/O is blocking on most platforms

No, they are not. We had non-blocking I/O working perfectly way before
POSIX threads were even remotely stable.

I have come to understands that "threads as a solution for I/O" is a
Windows solution.

> You seem really prejudiced towards anything 'infected' by node, big data,
> or http servers, but they've been solving the issues we have now since
> before we knew we even had them.

Unfortunately, their solutions are industrial ones, i.e. throw money at
the problem. I want a hacker solution: throw efficient programming at
the problem.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George