[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Event loop

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Fri Feb 19 13:41:19 EET 2021

Lynne (12021-02-19):
> I found this document useful:
> https://gist.github.com/andreybolonin/2413da76f088e2c5ab04df53f07659ea

Thanks. But I think this document makes it clear that what we, FFmpeg,
need, is not libuv.

In fact, after looking in the docs and in the source, I could not even
find how we can use it: it does not seem to have an API to integrate
foreign protocols.

Unless somebody points me that I am mistaken, it seems libuv is out and
it will be libev.

> Most high-level users have long since moved to asynchronous event
> processing on threads, so having a synchronous single-threaded
> implementation seems like somewhat behind with the times.

Yes, that is a terrible trend. Throw memory and CPU at I/O performance
instead of writing optimized code. POSIX threads never were a solution
for parallel I/O.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George