[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2021

Guo, Yejun yejun.guo at intel.com
Mon Feb 8 08:29:27 EET 2021

hi, for your information.

just like last year, to get more chances for GSoC project, I proposed my idea at https://01.org/linuxmedia/news/gsoc-2021-ideas, and also copy here for your convenience.

Async support for TensorFlow backend in FFmpeg
Description: FFmpeg DNN (deep neural network) module is to enable deep learning based FFmpeg filters with OpenVINO, TensorFlow and Native as its backends. The OpenVINO backend has supported async+batch execution for model inference with commit e67b5d and 64ea15 etc, it shows good performance gain. This project focuses on the async support for TensorFlow backend which invokes TensorFlow C library for model loading and inference. The main difference between the two backends is that OpenVINO API has async execution function while TensorFlow C API does not expose async function, so we need to support async execution by multiple threads within TensorFlow backend with sync function TF_SessionRun. (it is a plus if batch mode is also supported.)
Difficulty: Medium
Skill Required: C, multiple threads, DNN knowledge, git