[FFmpeg-devel] GitHub Integration

Niklas Haas ffmpeg at haasn.xyz
Tue Dec 28 23:21:31 EET 2021

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 00:59:58 +1000 Zane van Iperen <zane at zanevaniperen.com> wrote:

> On 27/12/21 11:41, lance.lmwang at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 04:37:54PM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> No, it's not strictly related to that - they want something that is CLI
> >> accessible. Gitlab has this here: https://glab.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
> >> and github has this here: https://github.com/cli/cli - the next question is
> >> whether the gitlab/hub hosts are blocked by a firewall (no idea) and/or
> >> whether the instances are self-hosted (github: no, gitlab-videolan: yes).
> >
> > Yes, self-hosted is more preferable, I recall github has blocked devleopers
> > in some country by US trade controls. Who knows what's the rules will be
> > changed someday as it's controlled by company.
> >

> Something that doesn't require another account would be nice, which is why
> I like mailing lists.

I don't understand, isn't this an argument in favor of GitHub? Most
mailing lists (including, notably, FFmpeg's) require registration in
order to submit messages, which is one of the reasons I hate them. It's
not just that registration is annoying in general, it's also that
registration to a mailing list is *more* annoying and cumbersome than
creating an account on any post-90s website.

Conversely on GitHub, everybody already has an account, so the overhead
for first-time contribution is *actually* zero. And on every other
self-hosted GitLab instance I've come across, I could cross-authenticate
with some other account I already have.