[FFmpeg-devel] GitHub Integration

Soft Works softworkz at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 25 18:23:53 EET 2021

Agreed. Once I start another conversation for the next step, I'll try to
choose a better subject.

> Second one, why first-comers aren't allowed to submit without pre-approval?
> (context: I haven't made my contributions to ffmpeg yet, though posted a
> single patch which stalled at review because of lack of my time).

Ah yes, that's a good question. When we had discussed this back in August,
there were concerns that this might cause a certain amount of hoax-, nonsense-
or low-quality patches to hit the mailing list.
And that's what it's about. The "pre-approval" for first-posters is not
meant to be a review. Reviews are done on the mailing list, just like usual.

This is intended to a rather low bar and all that an "already allowed" user
is expected to do is to take a very quick look at the submitted PR, whether
it _appears_ to be a reasonable contribution.

> And last point - if comments from github aren't re-posted to the list,
> maybe the boy should remove them or edit by removing the message and
> telling the commenter to use the ML?

Messages from the ML which are shown on GitHub are always including a
"Reply-To" link with instruction about how to reply.

> Anyway, good idea!

Drop me a note, then I'll send you the link where you can try it out.

Regards,
softworkz