[FFmpeg-devel] Politics

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Dec 22 21:54:11 EET 2021

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 01:29:04PM +0000, Soft Works wrote:

> [...]

[...]

> I think I know better and therefore insist
> on having a higher precision and/or flexible timebase for subtitle
> timings, otherwise I won't accept the patchset"

I didnt say any of this

what is the case is that FFmpeg tries to use flexible timebases
for everything. And also we try to be exact
I have said nothing about accepting or rejecting this patchset,
nor have i really made my mind up on how i would vote if it comes
to a vote.
What i have made my mind up on is that if someone replaces these
timestamps with higher precission or exact ones i would support it.

Also i do want someone to work on and improve subtitles
in FFmpeg. iam not your oponent here. I do want you to stay and
continue to contribute. But the area you picked certainly is
one where people have strong oppinions and its a big change as
well. I would suggest to keep a cool head and not give up yet.
Find out exatly what the people who objected want and if you can
find some compromise that makes everyone ok with it

> Let's look at the concern first: The concern is about that with
> a subtitle precision of milliseconds (let's say milli, even
> though we actually have microseconds), it would not be possible

Not sure i understand you but the code you add to AVFrame says "ms" and
thats milli not micro,
the prefix for micro is the SI system is μ or u if you want ASCII

In fact, the RIAA has been known to suggest that students drop out
of college or go to community college in order to be able to afford
settlements. -- The RIAA