[FFmpeg-devel] Politics

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Dec 19 17:16:12 EET 2021

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 08:41:09PM +0000, Soft Works wrote:

> [...]

playing devils advocate here, meaning iam not sure if the example below makes
sense as an argument in this debate but its a interresting case which was
not mentioned

consider a subtitle track
consider 2 video tracks for US 30000/1001 fps and EU 25 fps

the 6th frame in the US track is at  0.2002 sec, the 5th in the EU track at 0.2sec

if these differ and you want a subtitle to either stop displaying after the
earlier or begin displaying after the earlier reliably. Then you need a
timebase that can represent points within each such close encounter of frame
times.

thx

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct answer.