[FFmpeg-devel] 5.0 release

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 14:45:28 EET 2021

On 12/14/2021 5:44 AM, Marton Balint wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021, Anton Khirnov wrote:
>
>> Quoting Marton Balint (2021-12-13 22:30:25)

>>> IMHO we should merge changes which afftect a lot of existing
>>> functionality
>>> after a release, not before.
>>
>> Why? The change should be backwards compatible and not affect existing
>> callers. And having the new API in would allow them to start migrating
>> to it.
>
> Because a 300 patch patchset ought to contain errors which should not be
> present in a release. Also it kind of locks us up with the API with no
> possibilty to even slightly change it if needed.

In general, once an API is pushed you have at most a few days to make
breaking changes to it (including reverting). Ymmv, but it would not
make much of a difference since cutting the 5.0 branch could then be
done a week after the API is pushed.

Point releases can and are always made to fix issues and regressions
that may arise. And I've noticed that most bugs are detected once
rolling release distros grab a new tarball anyway.