[FFmpeg-devel] 5.0 release

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Mon Dec 13 21:47:38 EET 2021

Quoting James Almer (2021-12-13 20:04:34)

> On 12/13/2021 3:05 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Dec 2021, at 16:25, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> If you know of any major issues which need to be done before the release do them
> >> now. If you know of any issues which are release-blocking list them in a reply
> >> here please.
> >
> > Maybe the audio channel layout would be nice to settle before?
>
> There are two or three requests/blockers, by Nicolas and i think Lynne.
>
> - The request to have either a string to give custom channels a name, or
> at least an opaque pointer per channel that can be used for such
> purpose. This has seen opposition from Anton.

I do not oppose an opaque id, as long as it's not too big. I do oppose a
string though, as it would require extra allocations per channel.

> - The request to wait for a new string handling API to land and be used
> for the relevant functions in this set. This has not seen opposition
> from anyone yet, but it's not very feasible if said new API is not yet
> in a state beyond a draft/RFC. It would delay this set indefinitely. We
> can use AVBPrint in the meantime, and name the functions in a way that
> reflects it, to leave the cleaner names for the future API.

I said this before, but let me state again that I oppose this for
various reasons.

> - The request to allow a channel ID to be present multiple times. This
> has seen opposition from Anton and Hendrik (API user), and, if i
> understood it correctly, support from Marton.

This is already possible. The disagreement is in how much explicit
support for it should exist.

--
Anton Khirnov