[FFmpeg-devel] 5.0 release

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 21:04:34 EET 2021

On 12/13/2021 3:05 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2021, at 16:25, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> If you know of any major issues which need to be done before the release do them
>> now. If you know of any issues which are release-blocking list them in a reply
>> here please.
>
> Maybe the audio channel layout would be nice to settle before?

There are two or three requests/blockers, by Nicolas and i think Lynne.

- The request to have either a string to give custom channels a name, or
at least an opaque pointer per channel that can be used for such
purpose. This has seen opposition from Anton.
- The request to wait for a new string handling API to land and be used
for the relevant functions in this set. This has not seen opposition
from anyone yet, but it's not very feasible if said new API is not yet
in a state beyond a draft/RFC. It would delay this set indefinitely. We
can use AVBPrint in the meantime, and name the functions in a way that
reflects it, to leave the cleaner names for the future API.
- The request to allow a channel ID to be present multiple times. This
has seen opposition from Anton and Hendrik (API user), and, if i
understood it correctly, support from Marton.

Discussion has died down since i sent the set. Ideally we'd try to find
a way to move forward sooner than later.