[FFmpeg-devel] Politics

Daniel Cantarín canta at canta.com.ar
Sun Dec 12 18:38:29 EET 2021

 > Far from it. I have pointed the core flaws with the design a few times,
 > but having been received with rudeness, I did not bother insisting. This
 > patch series is nowhere near anything that can be accepted.

This quickly went from exciting to depressing. :(

I guess some recent-times archeology will also be needed in order to
discuss this, as the patchset is 23 versions now and has 21 parts. I'll
give
it some time starting from tomorrow. If you Mr. George happen to
remember where to look at, please kindly point me in the right direction,
in order to avoid reading the full patchset history of messages. Of
course, I'll read the whole thing otherwise, no problem.

Also, from your last comment, I feel you're kinda pissed off with this
patchset (or with softworkz, obviously). Yet, I've seen several answers
from you years ago (like, about a decade now) where you were actually
involved in the whole "subtitles in lavfi" thing. I mean: I've searched for
this several times from years by now, and most of the time you were
involved in the debates. I would say then this is something you care
and have some knowledge about.

If I were doing all the work softworkz is doing, I'll be pissed off with
the
backslash, no doubt about it. And if I were dealing with this use case for
the last 10 years and people keep not doing what I'm convinced should
be done, I'll be very pissed off too. So, this is kinda understandable.
But I find it to be a pity that this use cases get blocked by people just
not getting along. There has to be some way around it.

Isn't there anything that can be done to combine both your knowledge
and softworkz's will to tackle the issue? Perhaps laying down some base
design that should be honored, while other people like softworkz or I
could just progressively implement it?

I bet that if softworkz code actually do the job, then it can't be THAT far
away from an acceptable design, and thus that distance should be
workable.