[FFmpeg-devel] Third opinion? (was: lavf/avio: remove support for proto, , opt, val, , syntax.)

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Fri Aug 20 13:20:49 EEST 2021

Andreas Rheinhardt (12021-08-14):
> I do not really get that: The option passing syntax is restricted to the
> subfile protocol, so I don't know why we allow it for the file protocol
> in dashdec and hls. Unless I am missing something, this could (and
> should) be removed at once.

It must be leftover code from when it was supported for all protocols.
Not requiring this kind of convoluted tests in new code is also a
motivation for just removing the last trace of this feature.

> I use it to concatenate parts of files: When a DVR of mine has to split
> files due to the 4GB FAT-32 boundary, it does not do so cleanly; for
> some reason the first 96256B of the second file are duplicated, i.e.
> they coincide with bytes 96256-192511. For the third file, about a MB
> starting from offset 96256 is duplicated.

Makes sense.

I think we should decide that protocols like concat and subfile,
protocols where part(s) of the pseudo-URI are themselves pseudo-URI with
other protocols (let us call them metaprotocols) should always involve a
solution to pass options to the sub-protocols.

Possibly, let us make this a common helper API.

concat:file01.bin|[start=96256]subfile:file02.bin

Anyway, I think I can push the series except for the last patch now.
Any objection?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George