[FFmpeg-devel] Third opinion? (was: lavf/avio: remove support for proto, , opt, val, , syntax.)

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Sat Aug 14 11:31:13 EEST 2021

Nicolas George (12021-07-30):
> Andreas Rheinhardt (12021-07-29):
> > The latter statement is not true: This is public API; anyone can have
> > used it for any purpose. Your 2/5 adds a replacement for using it with
> > dvd2concat, but there are other usages, too; e.g. concatenating several
> > subfile files (each with its own start and end) with the concat protocol
> > won't be possible any more with this patch.
>
> This feature was never documented, and only incidentally mentioned in
> the examples for subfile, so I consider it is more akin to avpriv than
> to a public API.
>
> Do you have practical examples where concatenating subfiles is useful?

This feature makes several parts of the code harder to understand, see
hls.c and dashdec.c.

I have also asked on the users mailing-lists:

https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2021-August/date.html
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/libav-user/2021-August/012836.html

Unless somebody uses it in the real world, I would favor just getting
rid of it.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George