[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Suggestion for a Nicer Integration with GitHub

Soft Works softworkz at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 14:19:32 EEST 2021

[..]

> It is practically impossible to use git send-email without running
> your own
> mail server and having all the problems that entails (managing spam,
> making

That’s not really required. The issue for me is that I find it ridiculous
to need an extra command line app just for sending E-Mails. I already have
software for that and I do not want to work with my E-Mail login data
on the command line. I know about git-credentials, but I already have
software for storing my passwords and I do not want to use an additional
one. Further, I don't want to need to set this up on each machine that
I'm working on.

I'm using a git client that can also submit PRs to GitHub and that
has always been fine and sufficient for hundreds of projects I've been
working on or contributed to.
The procedure here does not match with my workflow, it's a recurring
annoyance and that in turn even affects quality of my contributions.

Anyway - I'll get over it, I got just a small time window anyway before
I'll fallback again into a rather passive role.

I have suggested the GitGitGadget way as an option with the potential
of being acceptable for everyone, as nobody would have to change the way
he is used to work.

Though, there's one point where I agree with Nicholas: applause from
non-contributors doesn't help much in that matter.
Without being backed by at least a small number of the regular devs,
this cannot fly.

softworkz