[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Suggestion for a Nicer Integration with GitHub

Soft Works softworkz at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 10 17:37:17 EEST 2021

Hi,

A while ago there was a discussion about moving forward and
migrating the ffmpeg development process from the mailing list to
another platform (like GitLab).
That discussion had died without further results and an important
takeaway for me was that there are just too many that love this way
of interaction and operation and would argue till the end of time
against such changes. That’s not meant as a kind of criticism, just
an assessment. There a those and those people with different
preferences and no doubt that others, who are preferring a more
modern and integrated approach like GitHub provides, would be as
much rejective when told about having to switch to a mailing list
based process.

But without doubt, a lot more developers could be attracted to
participate in ffmpeg development when it would be accessible in a
way like many developers are used to work these days. The ffmpeg
mirror on GitHub has 354 PR’s (25k stars, 8k forks!) even though
that there’s a big and clear warning shown that PRs won’t be
accepted this way. I wonder how many PRs might get submitted once we
could actually accept PRs from there.

My conclusion from the recent discussion was, that the only way to
make a change that could find a larger base of agreement would be a
solution that doesn’t make a change at all. What I mean by that is:
no moving of the repository, no migration to another platform, no
replacement of the mailing-list and leaving everything working
as-is. Instead, just add something on-top of it that will allow all
those “others” to better accommodate with ffmpeg development.
I had the idea to build some synchronization between Patchwork and
GitHub in a way that it would mirror submitted patches as GitHub
pull requests, I didn’t have the time to get on it.

Just recently, I discovered a very interesting project:
https://gitgitgadget.github.io/

This is all about the development of Git itself, which is done via
mailing list and they had the same problem, namely developers that
could never be convinced of using GitHub instead of the mailing
list. That’s how GitGitGadget came to life:
https://github.com/gitgitgadget/gitgitgadget/blob/main/DESIGN.md

Now my suggestion – obviously – is: Adapt the GitGitGadget
implementation and employ it for ffmpeg development.

Please let me know what you think about it.

softworkz